Tuesday 4 October 2011

Digi Pak Ideas


Album Front Cover

The first album I have chosen to use as an inspirational cover is Beat Connection's debut album - Surf Noir. The image is on a beach with just one lady. It's not so much this image I like, it's the way that they have framed the shot using the rocks that are on the beach. I think it looks really good as with a quick glance it looks as if they have just put a frame around the image, however when you look at it in more detail you see that it's been well thought out and the have used the jagged rocks, something that you would expect to find on a beach, as a way of framing the picture. However I'm not sure about the 'SURF NOIR' repeated across the album cover and I believe it would look better with the 'Beat Connection' accross the top and 'Surf Noir' at the bottom. There is of course the arguement that it is attention grabbing and it makes people think about Surf Noir and as a debut album from an artist that wasn't massively known at the time it could be a good way of attracting people to have a look at the album.



Ever since I first saw the artwork release of Chapel Club's album 'Palace' I've loved it. I'm not really sure why I like it so much, but I think it's the fact that they have an image of the band with lots different things all around them such as the clown faces, skulls and lots of flowers. On the whole the band are wearing somewhat dull clothing with no-one really standing out. However I like the many various coloured flowers in the shot used to brighten things up. Once again this artwork is framed which is something I definitely like the look of.

I
For me this is one of my favourite album artworks of all time. Everything about it in my eyes looks great. It once again has the convention of having a frame around the image which is something I will definitely be considering whether I want for my cover. The font on the image is one that the Klaxons as a band have gone on to use for both their LPs and EPs and have made it their own. Therefore I don't know whether it would be an appropriate font for my band as it has strong links with the Klaxons. I think the use of colour in this picture is amazing. The whole crosswords being all different colours works well, and obviously all of the pictures bring their own colours. When you break the artwork down you can actually see some images they have tried to create using a collage. You can see a 3-eyed person, a flower that within the petals shows other images which looks really cool. The flower is actually made up of Church windows I believe if you look at it in another way which shows their use of various images within images, something that works very well for them.
If you know anything about the album you will know that there are tracks named 'Gravity's Rainbow' , 'Golden Skans', 'Totem Timeline', 'It's Not Over Yet' and 'Four Hoursemen Of 2012'. There are of course a few more however I believe that these 5 go very well together and also with the image on the front. Obviously they have lots of varying colours which represents 'Gravity's Rainbow' and also 'Golden Skans'. To me the image at the bottom in the middle looks very much like they've tried to re-create their own Totem Pole which obviously links to 'Totem Timeline'. 'It's Not Over Yet' & ''Four Hoursemen Of 2012', considering the album was released in 2007, 5 years before 2012, very much relate to the future and I believe this futuristic approach is shown within the album cover by images such as the three eyed person and also the rainbow spiral.

I will be taking a lot of inspiration for my album cover from this album cover in terms of colours, possibly the image within other images aspect, the somewhat 'random' pictures, and also the idea that they have produced the album cover with heavy influences from their tracklisting. Finally once again this artwork is yet again another that has used the idea of framing it with a black frame which is something I will be looking to do.


I was having a look around some websites looking for images that had been taken with a fish eye camera lens. I came across this image which is actually a panoramic shot of some countryside that has been put around the inside of the fish eye circle. I really like this idea and think it looks really good. However I believe that the limited amount of room I could in truth be left with for a main image could be a holdback. 
I may use a panoramic shot for somewhere else in my digi pac as I do like the look of it, but maybe not on my front cover.
The fish eye effect however is something that I really like the though of. It instantly made me think of the next image I will be talking about;


This image was the artwork for Florence & The Machine's single - Dog Days Are Over. It doesn't exactly use a fish eye camera however it is framed by a black outer circle which looks cool. 
This artwork is actually in my opinion a really good one. I once again like how the artist is dressed in somewhat bland clothing, however the colour all around her brightens everything up. It also has some images and objects in the image that seem somewhat out of place, strange and a bit random. I believe it works well though and creates a strong image.

Overall I think i'll be looking for some kind of border for my front cover, and then possibly using a panoramic shot for images inside, and spread them across the 3 pages and at this moment in time have the actual CD holder part in the middle.
I'm tempted to also add in a little insert, therefore meaning I'll be needing to make sure that my digi pac has some sort of sleeve for this to go. I think that inside the sleeve I will possibly have 2 posters, however I'm still unsure as of yet as I wouldn't mind doing something with the lyrics.

In terms of the other 3 images obviously one will be my front cover, which I've already spoken about. My back cover will more than likely have the track listing on, and finally the 3rd and final image I'm totally undecided on as of yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment