Tuesday 4 October 2011

Album Artwork, Examples of Other Texts

Examples of Other Texts

I have been looking for images which I like and which can offer me some inspiration. These images are unique and stylish. I have selcted a wide range of images some of which are far too complicated and advanced for us to recreate and some in contrast are very simple but effective. Some if the artists are not from the genre we are focusing on but can still offer some inspiration and provide ideas.


This album cover by The Streets for the album Computer and Blues is partically interesting, although it is not particularly intricate it is a very good idea for an album cover. The simplicity of the idea for the album cover is brilliant, although producing something similar would extremely difficult to the the location needed for the photo. One of my favorite things about this album cover is the lighter in the top left corner with the bands name on it, this is something of a trademark for the band as they use this light on all of their album covers.

This album cover by the Klaxons is much busier and more complex than the one by The Streets, however I am still a fan of it. Although the album cover does not make much sense I believe it is eye catching and colourful, the way effects have been used to make it look like a collage is also effective. I believe we could create something quite abstract and colourful like this album cover if we put in the time and the effort, however I myself prefer the more simple album covers.


This album cover by Notorious B.I.G and the XX is one of my personal favourites, as it is quite simple but also eyecatching. The contents of the album cover also relate strongly to both artists as the X is a trademark symbol of the XX and obviously the face is of Biggie Smalls. I believe we could create something similar to this with out band name and I personally feel it could be very successful.


This album cover by Santogold is another example of a brilliant album cover, at first it appears to be very simple, but lots of editing has been used in the creation of this album cover. Looking closely you can see that the image has been mirrored at the bottom of the picture, a gold patch has also been edited into the picture which is fitting as it again relates to the artist. The picture has also been taken in black and white, this is extremely effective as it makes the gold standout.


This album cover by Radiohead is another example of a busier more colourful artwork, the use of colour is in fact very intelligent as the album is called rainbow which automatically suggests colour to many people. The way the band name and also the album name is repeated also adds a simply feel the to the album cover, and makes it very clear to the audience who's album they are looking at. Overall I am very fond of this album artwork, despite it being quite busy I beleive the reasoning behind the use of colour and the simplistic repetition make for a very successful album cover.


This album cover by the Arctic Monkeys for their most recent album Suck It and See is another one of my favourites. At a first glance some people may just this as plain and boring, but i believe that the simplicity of the cover is brilliant. The album name has simply been place against a plain background without any other information being given. Although some may say this album cover is too simple I am and always will be a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment