Tuesday 11 October 2011

Album Cover Ideas



When it comes to album covers I am very much a fan of the simplistic and relatively plain covers. In this post I will provide some pictures of relatively simple album covers which I am looking to use for inspiration for my Digipack. This post will also show that I have thought long and hard about my album cover and have used research effectively in producing my Digipack. Some people believe that producing simple album covers doesn't display the necessary skill, however I believe that simple covers can be more thought provoking than some of the more complicated. On this post I will provide some examples of simple album covers that have provided me with some inspiration.


This album cover by the XX is a very simple one, but it also a very good one that has started a trend of simple album covers. When you actually buy the album the X is cut out and the white background is layered behind. The album cover uses a simplistic idea combined with a simple colour pallete, some people may say that producing an album cover like this is easy but it must be relevant to your band and style of music and this album cover most definitely does this for the XX.



This album cover by Gil Scott Heron and Jamie XX is similar to that of the XX's album cover in the way that it is a very simple design emphasized using two contrasting colours, in this case green and pink. Some people may not like this album cover but I must admit I am a fan of it. The simplicity of it is fantastic. Despite the design being very simplistic it is still difficult to understand the thinking behind it and what the cover means to the artist. The fact that something so simple can be so complex is just one of the reasons that I like this type of album covers.


Here is another example of a simplistic album cover, this time by the Arctic Monkeys for there new album Suck It And See. This one is a little different to the previous two examples as the only thing on the cover is text, as oppose to an image. The cover simply displays the name of the album is bold black text in the centre of the cover. This is extremely simplistic but again I believe it is effective, as anybody who follows the Arctic Monkeys is sure to know the name of their albums. I am unsure as to whether I will include the name of the album on my cover, as I may go down the route of using on image/shape on my cover, using a similar design
to that of the XX and Gil Scott Heron ft Jamie XX. 


This album cover by the Beatles is the most simplistic of all, it is simply a white background. I like the idea behind this cover and think it was very brave of the Beatles to release an album cover such as this. Despite my taste in simplistic album covers I would like my cover to much more complex than this cover and would perhaps look at taking inspiration from all of these album covers and looking to combine some of these ideas in the hope of creating an effective and popular album cover. 


This album cover by Peace Orchestra was shown to me by one of my teachers, and is now one of my favourite album covers. The plaster on the front of the cover is a real plaster and displays the name of the artist. Once the plaster is peeled away it reveals a cut. The idea behind this album cover is brilliant and I believe recreating something like this would be extremely effective and also extremely popular as you feel actively involved in the creation of the cover. This album cover provides lots of inspiration for me and I am definitely going to explore the possibilities of recreating something similar to this. 




No comments:

Post a Comment