Friday 9 December 2011

Question 2 How Effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts. Draft

I think that the combination of our music video and my ancillary task work really well together, both products use the same indie conventions and it is clear that they are both influenced by the same genre of music. Both the music video and the digipack feature the band members in indie style clothing and the general style of the band for example their hair style and mannerisms such as speech. The fact that both my digipack and music video follow the same indie conventions gives my work continuity and allows the audience to grasp an understanding of LA Unknown’s style.

As you can see from all my research and planning I much prefer the more simple digipack ideas. It is very much a case of less is more in my opinion and I believe that keeping the digipack simple and not crowded makes your ideas stand out.

My digipack features a consistent theme of playing cards. The idea behind using playing cards came from the name of the song title itself ‘Shuffle’. At first I was struggling for ideas to use on my digipack, my original idea was to take inspiration from the ‘Notorious XX’ album artwork and produce something similar. However when I began to experiment with this idea I found that it was extremely difficult to recreate something such as this as the idea is much more suited to a singular artist rather than a group. To help come up with new ideas I began to analyse the work we had produced already such as the band name and the song name. This is where I came up with the idea of using playing cards, to strengthen the link to this theme I decided to name the album ‘Solitaire’ due to the obvious association with the card game.   

The front panel of my digipack consists of eight pictures and two text boxes. There are four pictures of playing cards, I took photographs of the picture cards (King, Queen, Jack and Jokers) I then edited them so that the pictures had been erased, leaving just the outline of the card. I then took mid-shot photographs of each of the four band members and used the magnetic lassoo tool on photoshop to cut around each band member. I then placed the picture of each band member inside a picture card to imitate the original pictures.  I then simply added the title of the the band and album using an abstract font which was downloaded from DaFont. I also used two colours using alternative colours for each letter. I decided to use a black and white colour scheme for my digipack as this is in keeping with the colours used on playing cards. I decided to allow the band members to wear what they wanted for each picture as this was an attempt to show there style to the audience, in many ways I would like the audience to experience each members individual style rather than control what they wear.

For the back panel, I stuck strictly to the theme of using playing cards, this again gives my work continuity. I used one picture of the back of a playing card and copied it 4 times. I then cut around the image and created a fan effect placing them as similar as I possibly could to the front. I then layered the song names and numbers over the top of the cards to create another layer. The overall idea of the front and back panels was that they would look like an actual fan or cards with the front and the back of the cards positioned is the same posistions. Although the idea behind the back panel seems very simple I personally think that it is effective and some of the feedback I received reinforces this idea.

On the inside panel of my digipack

The other 4 panels all use the same motif and all feature playing cards in some way shape or form. +

Although my digipack does not use any images from the music video the inspiaration behind the idea came from the song title itself, 'Shuffle'. This song name and its reference to playing cards gave me the idea to use them as the main theme of my digipack. To integrate my digipack ideas and music video further, I decided to name the album 'Solitare' reinforcing the playing card motif. The connections between my song/album name and the inspiration behind my digipack shows continuity and allows the audience can relate to the style of LA Unkown.

After looking at both my video and my digipack I believe that the quite spontaneous and random theme is continuous across both pieces of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment